Buckswood Summer School – First Days

Posted on August 7, 2011 by


On Saturday my duties at the Buckswood Summer School began. We spent most of the day cleaning up from the previous stream, preparing for the next, and talking about what to expect and what the previous streams have been like. On Sunday the students arrived. With the help of the experienced staff, intake went very smoothly. On Monday, the real fun began.

As an activity leader, my schedule is basically full from 7am until midnight. There is always something going on, there’s a lot to manage, and the school schedule can be very tight. I knew it would be this way, but as the first stream leaders warned us, you don’t really know what it’s like until you experience it.

I am actually having a really great time – there’s never a dull moment, I work well with the other leaders, I get along with the staff, and my kids are great. Every day is as full as it can be. I’ve gotten to coach and referee volleyball, I’ve gotten to play some football, and I’ve even learned a surprisingly fun Georgian game that involves spiking your friends with a volleyball. Still, we do so many things every day that at night I go to sleep exhausted.

One thing I’ve figured out is that Buckswood rewards initiative. To a great extent, this experience is about what you make of it. I feel that my input is respected by my bosses and coworkers, which is vanishingly rare in the world of work. All of the activity leaders have been willing and able to innovate in order to improve the experience for everyone.

It’s only day four, and I feel like I need about thirty hours of sleep. I know I’ll be facing this level of exhaustion, more or less, for another five and a half weeks. And yet I’m having so much fun that I’m actually looking forward to it.

I think the people from the last two streams would agree with the general sentiment that Buckswood is incredibly fun and incredibly strenuous. I think almost all of us would gladly do it again.

Posted in: Summer Camps